And a happy new year to you and yours!

 Acroduster  Comments Off on And a happy new year to you and yours!
Jan 012020
 

With all the good times behind us, it’s time to start work again. Santa was kind enough to bring me a handful of drills in all sizes from 1-2 mm. So it’s time to start drilling and tapping holes again. Officially I should drill a 1.6 mm hole for a 2 mm tap, but I find that in stainless steel that is too small. Drilling 1.7 mm works just great. And since there is not really a heavy load on the bolts, it all should work.

adding these little tabs is very time consuming!

Adding the little tabs is a lot of work, if I prepare a whole row it is easier to solder, but takes a lot of time to prepare. Making them individual takes less time to make, but is more difficult to solder. Ah well, it’s all part of the fun. I think this part of the build is the most challenging so far.

looking good! unfortunately that 0.2 mm plating is very easily marked. But I guess that makes it more ”scale”!

Rear end skinning

 Acroduster  Comments Off on Rear end skinning
Nov 252019
 

The panels for the access to the rear end are made from 0.3 mm stainless steel. The main challenge was working out a method to fit the panels with screws as per full size. After the inevitable ”not fit for use” parts, I think I worked out a method that I can use at the front as well, without adding too much weight. I am using 2 mm steel strip, partly drilled and cut at the locations I want to keep. I use the panel for alignment, and when the first 2 point are soldered, I remove the panel and solder the remainder. Afterwards I cut of the bits no longer needed. Once the lugs are prepared, they are tapped with 2 mm. At present I am still working on the cutout for elevator, but already it looks great.

In hindsight I should not have followed the plans for locating the tabs. It would have been better to place one or 2 at different locations, i.e. I now need to add 2 extra to hold the front part of the cover and an additional one to hold a filler plate above the hole for the stab. Hey, it’s a Homebuilt!

Prepare the little lugs, next time I need to make a wider cut to prevent the silver flowing up the gap. Also need more clearance at the bottom part. This was the last one, where I thought I could get away with just a bit of relief.
First tacked the other side at 2 locations, using the panel for guidance. Next solder this side.
Left part still needs shortening, right is short enough, just needs a bit of tlc.
and the finished part.
Looking at the shiny side. Next is removing enough material for clearing the stab/elevator.
and the last bit for today..